This has been a very busy week. Some highlights:
* I’ve been invited to be a workshop teacher at a writer’s conference in South Carolina this October. I’ll post more about that when I have more details, but it looks like a really exciting, intense weekend, and I’m looking forward to it. It’s also the weekend before WFC, so we’re thinking we might just go Stateside and stay there a few weeks like we did last year.
* I’ve arranged a bonanza signing at the Forbidden Planet in London, tentatively scheduled for 20 September. The entire Negotiator trilogy will be out by then, as well as THE QUEEN’S BASTARD, and of course all the Walker Papers that are currently available. There should also be three issues of Chance out at that point, so, yeah: a bonanza signing event. More as I know it on that, too.
* Question from comments: The inside of HoC advertises HoF as coming in September 2008. Has that been officially changed, or was August only tentative? Answer: I just couldn’t remember when it was coming out, and kept thinking it was August. It’s September. :)
* HOUSE OF CARDS is out! Officially it’s out on Tuesday, but numerous people have reported seeing it in the bookstores! Quick! Go forth! Buy it! Get me onto a bestseller list! *hopeful eyes* :)
* Lots of Chance news:
» After discussion, the Dabels and I have decided to postpone the TAKE A CHANCE launch until July. The May schedule was a leetle too ambitious to give the comic the lead-up and promotion we all think it deserves, so we decided to give it a proper launch at San Diego Comic Con. Now I just have to figure out how to get there myself. *passes the hat*
» Chance #1 is in the can. I’ll be checking over the pages one last time today and then uploading the files for the Dabels. One down, forty-seven to go!
» I have lined up a totally spectacular cover artist for issues 2-5. I’ll do announcements as to who later, once we’ve gotten contracts and everything ironed out, but Marvel fans from the 90s will recognize his work, if not necessarily his name. I’m incredibly thrilled. :)
» I’ve found a new artist for Chance! This has been a long process with a lot of very talented artists auditioning for the job, but to my delight I’m actually going to be working with a guy I talked to…three years ago now? Wow. When I did my initial search for an artist. Aleksandar Sotirovski is a Macedonian artist with a fantastic portfolio and a lot of professional credit, particularly in Europe, and I think his Chance is going to be just as sexy and fantastic as Ardian’s, but with Aleksandar’s own twist on her. Here’s the rough draft character sketch he sent me a few weeks ago:
We’ll be getting started on the first of Aleksandar’s issues in April, probably, and start really hitting the ground in around July–after I’m done with these last couple books I’ve got due.
» It also looks like some of my Ambitious Plans regarding Chance may well come to fruition. I will, once again, keep people posted as I know more, but I’m pretty excited about the prospects.
Overall, I’m really pleased with where things stand with Chance. It’s honestly a huge relief for all of us that the comic’s not going to launch until July, and between that and having found an artist, wow, walking on air here. It’s a big burden off my back for a while, and I’m very glad about that.
* My hand is healing up. I’m even kind of using it to type today. I think as long as I remain sensible over the weekend I should be back at work Monday. Whew.
* And last, though hardly least, Ted is smashingly handsome in pinstripes: